Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Image hosting by Photobucket

I never want to meet my heroes.

When I was a kid, like every kid growing up here, Willie Stargell was my hero.

We used to wait after the games to see him.

I was in awe, there he was, “Pops,” coming out of the team room and walking toward the bus. Trembling, pen and paper in hand waiting for his signature.

He shoved me to the curb in the rush of people.

I was sad for a long time.

But now I’m wise.

And that’s why I never want to meet my heroes.

Photo – S
Words – S

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had always heard Pops was a real son of a bitch. Not just cranky, but a total, complete asshole. He was in the same locker room that begat the 80s drug scandals. Now he's dead. Do you remember Rod Scurry? I'm sure you know this, but he scored coke in the Pirates locker room between innings once. Also dead. Come to think of it, I kinda like that team now. Better than what we face today. But of course we now have the Pops statue, pretending to look mighty and just in front of a stadium of losers. Maybe he belongs there.