Friday, March 03, 2006

Image hosting by Photobucket

There is a song called "What I Am." I generally like the song. The Edie Brickell version being the one I've heard. These are some of the lyrics:

"I'm not aware of too many things
I know what I know, if you know what I mean
Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box
Religion is the smile on a dog
I'm not aware of too many things
I know what I know, if you know what I mean, d-doo yeah"

It's the smile on a dog line that gets me. What does that mean? Is it slanderous to religion? Or quite the opposite?

My dog smiles and it's the thing that's gotten me through this week. I printed the photo and put it on my cube. Whenever I've gotten mad and frustrated, I look at the photo and have smiled. I feel at peace, I laugh, I realize that everything is ok because soon I will be at home. Maybe religion is like a smile on a dog. It makes people feel warm and fuzzy. Comfortable, not alone in this big crazy mixed up world.

Picture - N
Words - N

No comments: