Monday, October 01, 2007

* CHICKEN WEEK * Day One - Wedding Soup

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

According to the beloved Wikipedia, wedding soup is "Wedding soup or Italian wedding soup is an Italian-American soup consisting of green vegetables and meat. It is popular in Northeastern United States, especially Youngstown, Ohio and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where it is a staple in many local restaurants."

Wedding soup is not served at weddings. It is a translation of the Italian phrase minestra maritata, which means that green vegetables mate well with meats. It comes from Naples, but I first had it as a kid in Ellwood City. My father makes a great version that has stars in it. The restaurant below where I work now has the best wedding soup. That's what this picture is of. It tastes amazing, with thick pieces of chicken (hence it qualifies for chicken week).

If I could eat wedding soup every day, I would be a happy man.

Photo - S
Words - S

No comments: