Thursday, October 11, 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I call bullshit on Sweetest Day.

What is that?

Oh, Wiki, I love you so:

Sweetest Day is an observance celebrated primarily in the Great Lakes region and parts of the Northeast United States on the third Saturday in October. It is described by Retail Confectioners International, as "much more important for candymakers in some regions than in others (Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo being the biggest Sweetest Day cities)" and an "occasion which offers all of us an opportunity to remember not only the sick, aged and orphaned, but also friends, relatives and associates whose helpfulness and kindness we have enjoyed." Sweetest Day has also been referred to as a "concocted promotion" created by the candy industry solely to increase sales of candy.

I didn't know about it until I was 18. I was dating a girl closer to Ohio and we were having a nice date. In the middle, she broke down crying, sobbing how I forgot Sweetest Day. I had never heard of it. Never ever ever ever.

So I laughed.

Like, oh, you made up this holiday.

I learned. Quick. It was real.

So Sweetest Day is October 20. You know, you don't need a holiday to show someone you care.

These folks...

Let me quote:

"Old man and woman with their grinder. no they don't get paid they just come out because they want to see the smiling faces. their toy monkeys clap and dance with glee, happy to be in the sunshine."

That's sweetest. Not a made up holiday.

Photo - N
Words - S (and quoted N)

No comments: