Thursday, May 29, 2008

Photobucket

This is the first comic book that I saw Nick Fury in. My grandparents lived next to a junk dealer and he gave me a big stack of Marvel Two-in-Ones. In these, the Thing met all sorts of people. Really, any kind of team-up book is a weird conceit, because most comic book fans just want to see fights. So the Thing would fight and then make up and then the two of the heroes would see that by working together they could do anything. As you can see, this is a bullshit concept.

Anyways, I was in Toys R Us and they had all these Marvel collectors sets. And right in front is this one, with Nick Fury, and I remember the first time I read it and wanted to have an eyepatch and be a super spy. Six year old Sam running around pretending he was Nick Fury. Twenty year old Sam. Thirty five year old Sam. Always pretending.

Photo - S
Words - S

No comments: