Monday, February 13, 2006

Walk Don't Walk

Image hosting by Photobucket

3 in the morning in Osaka.

I’m the only sober one.

Middle of Golden Week, created to celebrate the birth of Emperor Showa. Hardly anyone in Japan is working. We’ve all eaten a 4 hour shabu-shabu meal with a boiling hot pot of water in the middle of the table and trust me, no one could ever do that in the US, there’d be so many lawsuits.

Walking through the craziest parts of Osaka, being propositioned by Japanese prostitutes once they realize I speak English (Kawai tu, gaijin!). We come to a crosswalk, no cars are within miles but plenty of people.

My brother tries to walk against the do not walk sign, and someone stops him in a friendly way: “Please, sir, you will get hurt if you cross. Please wait with us for the walk sign.”

That’s why I love Japan.

Photo - S
Words - S

No comments: